Don’t try this at home

The recipe (apparently: I was out) is a jar with a little honey in it that you wish to soften; place in the microwave and accidentally type “20 mins” when you meant “20 secs”; go away and return when the room is full of smoke. But the effect is good.

9 thoughts on “Don’t try this at home”

  1. Is that completely carbonised, or is it more of a toffee?

    [Definitely not toffee. Looks smells and feels quite carbonised -W]


  2. Interesting. The same thing happens if you add sulfuric (the official spelling) acid to sugar.

    [Ha. We don’t want none of your stinkin’ “f” acid over here 🙂 -W]


  3. Poor user interface. My wife’s already done pretty much the same thing twice with our new microwave; never happened with the old one. And it’s hard to clear the smoke quickly when it’s still freezing outside.


  4. That’s why I decrystalize honey for 5 seconds at a time.

    Other fun tricks, chocolate chips and marshmallows are apparently two halves of a culinary epoxy activated by 15 seconds in the microwave followed by a quick stir.


  5. Eli, that’s exactly my reaction. I just bought a liter of H2SO4 just to have a fireworks snake without the fire. Now I’m going upstairs to the kitchen to try this out. I love microwave ovens…….


  6. Read the title of the post, DON’t TRY THIS AT HOME”, Good thing microwave ovens are cheap at the second hand store.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s