I wanted to say something about the Trump victory over Hillary2. I find that writing down what I actually want to say is difficult, because my thoughts are not entirely clear on the matter. But – searching for a latin proverb about the weather, since today’s Fours Head looks to be rather damp1 – I ran across this, which whilst not covering in breadth everything that needs to be said, does I think have depth.
Coming soon: what Hayek and Hobbes have to say on Brexit, and funny quotes from the Times.
1. I didn’t make the crew, tee hee. But best wishes to Stephen, Conor, Simon L, Dan; and Mr T.
2. In case there should be ambiguity, if I’d had a vote I would have held my nose and voted for Hillary.
3. Or, in the Penguin edition translated by Michael Grant that I’m now reading, “Corruption reached its climax, and legislation abounded.” Which does to some extent reverse the sense: corruption has caused law, rather than law, corruption.
* Only in America… because there is – would you believe it? – a Dem Governor called Chickenlooper! Actually you shouldn’t believe it, I added a letter, but the principle remains.
* Timmy offers wise advice about what to do if you fear Donald Trump running global surveillance network
* Timmy, under the heading “India’s Demonetisation – Larry Summers Thinks It’s A Bad Idea”, points out why a certain amount of black-market money is good, but not too much.
* It’s Straight Bananas That Made Me Support Brexit Too – Timmy
* Vox: Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed 2016 Campaign. Ignore the infighting bit, read the “what was her message, what was her vision?” bit.